Saturday



I was talking to my mum the other day about my new love for finches. My mother is, I should say, and artist who specializes in birds (though she also does stunning landscapes) so this is really her realm, not mine. In any case, she told me that the lowly finch is something of a darling among artists (I can see why!), and by way of illustration, she sent me this painting by New Zealander Ray Harris-Ching.

.....I ask you.

Have you ever seen anything more beautiful?

(If you're interested in seeing more, his work can be found on the website of the Russel Fink gallery)

6 comments:

Merisi said...

No! :-)

Unknown said...

I'm amazed by the detail that is put into this! Beautiful!

FDChief said...

As a painting?

No.

In the way of birds?

Mmmm...there's a lot to be said for finches. But then there's a gyrfalcon kiting through the twilight of a Northwestern forest, red eyes beaconing like the Goddess of Death herself. Then there's a thousand snow geese rising off a steaming desert lake in winter like the steam made flesh, bone and feather. Then there's a miniature jewel of a Magnificent Hummingbird hovering two feet in front of your eyes...

I love finches, too...

But there's a lot of other wonder to love in the world where the birds dwell.

flyinamber said...

really lovely painting..
love the sound of finches quarrely twittering on the roof in the morning..they always sound like they guarrel,donn't they?

Lonnie Hanzon said...

I have never seen a thing more beautiful. It's detail is lovely and precise and and narrative and alive.

Carol Jeandel said...

what it will be your goodthing ? :)