Saturday

 Every year since we moved to Denver (two years before we officially adopted the Q), we have trekked down to the Four Mile Historic Park at the beginning of October for the annual pumpkin festival.
 In past years, we have arrived late - late on the afternoon of the final day. But this year we were on the ball, and arrived early on the first day.
Turns out, there is a lot more to see if you're the early bird at the pumpkin festival. 
 So we made hay while the sun shone, and took full advantage of all the historical dioramas and reenactments.
 I am not a quilter, just as I am not a seamstress, but I do appreciate the craft when I see it.
 Really, I appreciate any craft done well and with devotion.(btw I think the Q is doing the chicken dance in these photos).
 As for Q, she always enjoys music, be it contemporary or classical.

 And we all love teepees.
 Mike is 1/64 Creek Indian, card-carrying. I myself probably have a far, far higher concentration of Indian blood in me, but I do not carry a card, so we will probably never know.
 In any case, we very much enjoy exploring the history of Native Americans from our region...however authentic or unauthentic it might be.
 Can you see the Native American in his face?

 Nope. Neither can I.


 Q got herself a handmand bone necklace out of the day. It very much suited her outfit.


 There is, of course, a pumpkin patch...though we were just window-shopping since we already have our pumpkins for the season.
 Homemade sugar cookies are always a popular item...particularly when baked in a real wood stove, just like my mum used to bake when I was small.
 We particularly love Four Mile for its wonderful vintage structures, so well-kept.
 And one of the greatest joys of the Pumpkin Festival for me - a born-and-raised horse lover - is the presence of so many beautiful and carefully-groomed draft horses. This white pair were particularly attractive for their styled manes and gorgeous harnesses.

On the way home from the festival, Q left a careful trail of crumbs (aka kettle corn kernels) so that she might somehow make her way back. I love how fairytales endure through the generations.

17 comments:

Rosa said...

Awww that's really cute, Q in her dress and all. And I wish we had some sort of festivity in my area where we have the option to dress in the past. Not just the 80s or 90s, but fully back in the past. Because seeing these pictures and hearing your words... seems amazing.

Mike said...

My people call it "Maize."

Mom-Friday said...

What a unique festival! i'm sure this was a very enriching experience for Q!

Merisi, Vienna said...

What a fabulous post, made me feel right there (and oh, how much would I have enjoyed that fair!).

Your boots are envy-inducing,
you look gorgeous! ;-)

Yoli said...

I love that picture of her against the fence. No native American trace on your husband face, more like German or Skandanavian.

nath said...

Seems like it still really warm in Colorado...
Sound like a great place to visit as an area...

Evelyne said...

Quel magnifique reportage,pendant quelques minutes j'étais dans un autre monde.J'ai adoré les patchworks et les poupées "homemade" je suppose.
Bon dimanche.

kitchu said...

i need to move. :O) so much magic in this place you live. most of it, of course, contained in one small, beautiful little girl called Q.

Lost and Found said...

There will be NO moving K! Such magical pictures of QQ. Love them!

Catalina said...

Stunning, fabulous!!!

Gigi Thibodeau said...

I love these photos, especially Q's chicken dance! The festival sounds like a perfect way to spend a fall day. My latest post is about a fall festival too. Can't get enough of 'em this time of year.

Loree said...

What a wonderful place. I love anything Native American.

Stacie said...

i am ashamed to say how long it has been since i visited... it almost brought tears to my eyes to see how much Q has grown. my most elusive challenge still remains finding balance... now off to see what you all have bee up to!s

;) said...

Thanks for this beautiful and interesting travel! In a time machine?

FDChief said...

That does look like fun. Our autumn is sadly damp and foggy, and I miss the sort of crisp, clear day you're enjoying.

And I love Q's little pioneer dress. All she needs is a little bonnet and she'll be all ready for Little Q On The Prairie!

Duchess of Lanier said...

Happy Autumn!
Adorable QQ in her dress and looks like a fun and interesting day.
Your photography always makes it seem like we were there.
Cheers!

Nell said...

Oh! My! How great this was! We would have loved to experience this ;)