Thursday

Tonight is a blue moon. So I was reminded by my husband, who writes up the news every night at work. He was not, however, able to tell me what a "blue moon" means, so I had to look it up. Naturally, there were various historical references, and much debate as to the original source of the term. I'll just print this one:

The Farmer's Almanac defined blue moon as an extra full moon that occurred in a season; one season was normally three full moons. If a season had four full moons, then the third full moon was named a blue moon.
In any case, chronologically, a blue moon on New Year's Eve is a rarity. So I felt I should commemorate it with a post. This seemed like the best thing in my recent photo archive to celebrate a blue moon New Year's Eve.

This is all three of us playing shadow puppets with a sun and moon from a kit that Q received as a Christmas gift. Q took almost instantly to the concept of shadow puppets, and you can bet we'll be having a lot more fun with this in the future!

Happy 2010 to one and all! OX M, M & Q

10 comments:

caramelcaramelo said...

how lovely! have a wonderful 2010 full of joy! kenza.

nath said...

I've the paper dolls at VDJ blog. Superb!!!!!! Well done, they look stunning. Happy 2010

bicounette87 said...

tks for these insteresting details about blue moon
have nice and beautiful year 2010, you, Q, uand your family

bicounette87.canalblog.com

Stacie said...

"once in a blue moon"! Happy New Year to you! I love Q's little pixie and you look slammin in those faux leather pants....so wish i could pull that off!

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

Is it really a blue moon?!? I love the shadow puppets! So creative!

Anonymous said...

http://isegretidellanoce.blogspot.com/

I just saw a picture of your daughter at this French blog. I am sure it is her. I hope it is a friend of yours who has posted her picture.
http://isegretidellanoce.blogspot.com/2010/01/pour-camille-et-les-petits-princes-du.html

Maia said...

Oh yes, she's a friend!

Ribambins said...

I wish a very happy and creative 2010 year. see you next year ;-)

Anne said...

Happy, Happy New Year to you and your family, Maia ! And thank you for explaining the blue moon :-))
<3 Anne

Anonymous said...

Happy new year!!! Shadow puppets are the best thing that has happened to me since August, I'm pretty sure. Glad to see they're getting use by the age group for which they were intended...

:) Beth