Saturday

Oh, this just warms my heart so...

About a month ago, sweet Guusje had the idea to host an international handmade gift swap. Like me, Guusje is a handmade gift addict, as are many of her blog followers. So we all signed up and she matched us with gift partners, and off we went to make our gifts according to our various handmade specialties.
I happened to be matched with Sanneke in Holland, who is a Pippi Longstocking fan. What luck! Of course I had to paint her a Pippi for her gift. It was a lot of fun to make it thinking of her and her family, but I can't even tell you what joy it is to actually see the photos of my painting in her home! (I borrowed these shots from her blog).
Today is Sinterklaas festival, and since my mother was born in Holland (and is half Dutch) I will be celebrating today by decorating the tree with my daughter.

Unfortunately, the slow post has not yet brought me Sanneke's gift, so it's still a mystery! As soon as it arrives I'll be excited to post it on the blog. What do you suppose it could be??

5 comments:

sanneke said...

Haha, I know what it is! :) It has been in my hands long enough to know it very well. And I do hope you will soon see it, too. It is so nice to have your Pippi in our house, to look at her and see with how much precision and joy you painted her. It's a fantastic Sinterklaasgift! Your Pippi will be cherished.

But Maia, tell me, what kind of tree do you decorate for Sinterklaas? A special Sinterklaastree? Or did you decorate your christmastree today?

Maia said...

Sanneke, we're just decorating our Christmas tree today, so as to have something festive to do on Sinterklaas. Ordinarily, we'd go to the Sinterklaas festival today - there is one in downtown Denver every year, but it starts the day after Thanksgiving here, and we went early this year. That, and it's FREEZING out today...much too cold for my little munchkin who doesn't like to wear her mittens! So indoors it is today.

A Beautiful Mess said...

Maia,
We also will be celebrating sinterklaas tonight! The kids put out their wooden shoes with carrots for the horse:) and a snack for sinterklaas and zwarte piet. Sinerklaas usually leaves new hats and mittens for winter, some chocolate coins, dutch waffle cookies. Fun stuff!

Maia said...

WHat fun, Maryellen! I have yet to find Q a wooden shoe, I've been meaning to since last year! We are not nearly so organized on Sinterklaas...but I felt like we should do something!

Di said...

The painting is really lovely. Pippi Longstocking is such a great character and you've really captured her.