Wednesday

This week's Corner View is themed "my favorite hangout".
In fact, I think my favorite hangouts are well-documented already on this blog! Our beloved home being principal among them, of course. Then there's the local contemporary art museum, which I have probably already over-photographed.

So, I'm going to take a bit of a departure with this post and show you a place - a town rather - where I very much enjoyed hanging out during my highschool years on the East coast.

This is Rhinecliff, or what we Woodstockers called "the other side of the river". Said river being the Hudson. It's technically a "hamlet" inside the township of Rhinebeck. The Rhinebeck/Rhinecliff side of the river is famous for its rolling riverbank estates and sprawling historical mansions, and for its favor with many of the famous Hudson River Valley School painters of the mid 19th Century. The hamlet of Rhinecliff is quaint, artsy and historical. When I was in highschool, my mum and I used to cross the river of a free night to catch independent films at the local cinema. The outskirts of town are populated by some of the most amazing Victorian houses, and when we stopped on our way to the train station this last trip, I hopped out of the car to shoot a few photos.
This particular house, though its yellow paint makes it much sunnier than my depiction, inspired this painting which I've been working on for the past week, and prints of which will soon be available in my shop.

Stop by Jane's weekly for a list of more corner views around the blogosphere!

10 comments:

Yanyan said...

This painting is beautiful, love the red balloons

Di said...

The print is beautiful and the house is inspiring. I think my parents went to Rhinebeck once when they were visiting my aunt in New Hampshire.

caramelcaramelo said...

lovely painting! and in the previous post - Q looks so classy! thanks for sharing these. kenza.

Theresa said...

Love the print and the entire feel of the town. Also adorable childhood dollhouse figures from your recent post. I just dug up some of mine today.

alliot + iza said...

Maia, your illustration is so beautiful!
And, the dollhouse made by your father is such a GREAT art piece. the little dwellers are so cute.
I almost forget that you've once asked did iza choose the name serena- jane for her own rabbit ... yes! she did :)
Have a nice weekend!

Mari Mansourian said...

beautiful place, and the way you describe it is lovely

Patricia said...

I love the painting....beautiful!

Yoli said...

I absolutely love this image!

jane said...

it reminds me of the houses where i grew up. i love your illustration. it captures it beautifully.

Gigi Thibodeau said...

I always love seeing your new work, Maia, and then getting to see what inspires you makes it even more magical to me. Just brilliant! xoxo