OK, it's kinda random. But I designate it!
Today, a list of reasons why I feel so incredibly, profoundly fortunate to share a life with this man:
- He's a fabulous cook.
- He's stoic to the marrow of his bones.
- He has a copyright symbol tattooed directly between his shoulderblades.
- He likes to garden, and grows beautiful vegetables.
- He is utterly unequivocal. Look up "unequivocal" in the dictionary, and you'll find his picture.
- He once wrote me a note that said "I love you more than bacon."
- He wears converse hightops with the laces undone. He wore them the day I met him (with a cowboy hat) and he wears them still. He wears each pair until the soles wear through and the seams burst, and then breaks out a new pair.
- He has a very deep voice.
- He is a superb father.
- He reads every newspaper he can get his hands on, every day.
- He knows how to make a pinhole camera.
- The other day, when I was under the weather, he brought me a double-chocolate Blizzard from DQ and an Orange Julius.
- He plays a mean guitar.
- He doesn't know anything about cars.
- In his world, there is no "can't". Together, he believes, we can do anything we set our mind to. Anything.
- He follows in nobody's footsteps.
- He has been throughout his life a chef and a journalist, sometimes consecutively.
- He's completely devoted to those he loves.
- He doesn't watch sports, but he's always game for a six-hour hike in the mountains.
- He once gave me a can of SPAM-n-Cheese as a gift. He also once gave me a trip to San Francisco for my birthday.
- He's not afraid to go to the opera.
- He sometimes brings me flowers for no reason.
- He is a brilliant comedian. I've never met anyone with better comic timing.
- He owns his mistakes with dignity and humility.
- He loves camping in the desert.
- He has a work ethic out of another, more diligent era, and he never, ever takes a sick day.
- He gets emotional about dogs.
- He's not afraid to make fun of himself.
- When his mountain bike was stolen, he bought us each a three-speed cruiser with the insurance money, so that we could go on breezy afternoon rides on his days off.
- He has trouble pronouncing the word "wolf", which makes me laugh, and which is (I swear!) only a small part of the reason that I chose a house on Wolff Street when we were looking for our new home.
- He always has a new adventure planned for the next day off.
- He shares the housework with me 50/50, and never has to be asked.
- When I asked him to adopt a little girl from China with me, he said "yes".
Posted by Maia at 12:54 PM