Friday

In continuation of my recent trip down memory lane...
...this is my beloved (late) grandfather, known to friends as Jack. His real name was Dutch, long, and difficult to pronounce on American tongues. So Jack became his moniker, aka "The Captain". My grandfather was a unique, elegant and honorable man. And I should add that this is not how he normally dressed. This was a facetious photo. Jack was one of the most diligent, serious and thoughtful men I've ever known. His personal style was much more pared-down and sober than this. Born in Holland, educated in England and Italy, he was an engineer and inventor who created one of the very first cooling systems for (then wall-sized) computers. He was a lifetime student of Buddhism, long before Buddhism became popular in the Western world. A fan of beautiful cars, ham radios, and winemaking . A devoted philanthropist, dedicated family man, generous and solicitous employer, and pillar of every community he lived in. My grandfather took nothing lightly, and thought deeply about every issue he encountered. I remember him as gentle, handsome, stylish, soft-spoken, and constantly at work. He remains a legend to all those who remember him.

3 comments:

Yoli said...

That photo of him bespeaks of a man at ease in his own skin. Elegant, powerful.

Jeanne-ming Brantingham said...

I love your posts about your family. I am so facinated by you and how all these forces, influences and nationalities made you.

alliot + iza said...

Agree with Yoli and Jeanne-ming.
I also love to read stories about your family!!!