Saturday


We took this picture at the Mary Boone gallery in New York while rattling around Chelsea a few years ago. I was already a Will Cotton fan by this time, but it was our first time seeing his work "in the flesh", if you will. It's worth seeing in person, not only for the sake of studying the exquisite brushwork, but because of the scale. These paintings are enormous, and the scale really affects the impact of the work. Up close, dwarfed by these canvases, you get a chance to bathe in it (and I don't know about you, but I've always wanted to bathe in icecream and cotton candy).
He is an exquisite painter, a truly superb craftsman, and his compositions just appeal to me. I know it isn't everyone's taste, but I can't help myself - I love it.
This photo, and those below and abovew, via www.willcotton.com

2 comments:

Yoli said...

Thank you for introducing me to this artist.

Kaylovesvintage said...

I really like his work