Wednesday

I've received several lovely holiday cards already (which just makes me crawl under my desk and feel even worse for being so, so dreadfully far behind on my own missives), but this one is my favorite. It's from my cousin Poppy in London (and, as you can see, I inadvertently set my coffee on it at some point this afternoon). But I love the whole image...a snowball fight in a snowbound Trafalgar Square of the past. The hats, the coats, the chilly fog, the gravitas of the lion with his cap of snow amid all this hilarity...
Delightful.

Image thanks to Card Aid : www.CardAid.com.uk

1 comment:

FDChief said...

You're right; it's the unexpected feel of this that's so drawing, the sense that these gents were going about their business or trudging back from lunch dutifully on a snowy working day...until the spirit of mischief tapped one on the shoulder and jerked it's head towards a particularly tempting snowbank. The first snowball knocked off one of those fedoras and the fight was on.

You picture them getting back to work, red-faced and wet-collared, with a sheepish look and apology hiding the secret smile and the lingering cold of the air in their chests...