Wednesday

Remember when you were a child, and you used to make a tent of the covers at naptime, letting the sleepy afternoon light filter through the coverlet like a scrim? Remember the drowsy comfort of that private world, more secret, more luxurious, more delightfully safe than anyplace else in the world?

I never take naps anymore. Since bringing our daughter home, we have found our rhythm and fallen into it. My husband naps regularly. He works harder than anyone I know, and he suffers from lack of sleep. He needs it. But I have found that I can survive on less sleep. I desperately need our daughter's nap times in order to get my work done in the studio. So naps are a luxury I've sacrificed, and willingly.
But it has been a particularly difficult and exhausting couple of weeks for us. My mother just got to town yesterday, and my husband had a major presentation last night. Today, I found myself unable to go another day without a nap. So I gave in to a rare luxury.
As soon as I pulled the duvet over my head, and saw the afternoon light filter through, that old childhood feeling came over me... and I gave into it.
I lay on the surface of sleep for as long as I could, just watching the light filter through as it shifted across the room, listening to the birds in the hedges outside my window, and the bees in the flowerbeds, and...enjoying. Sigh.

7 comments:

Anne said...

Your nap was so romantic Marie-Antoinette ;-)

Adele said...

I love napping. I really do. (: I'm glad you got that much needed rest!

Yoli said...

So glad you could nap, for a person that is used to it, you must have been missing it pretty badly. I agree with Anne, very Marie Antoinette of you in your pretty bloomers.

Palmer and Co said...

Oh, I love your photos! I agree with Anne, very Marie Antoinette feel to them! Can't go wrong with that!

Happy Day!

Maia said...

Now that you mention it...it's just the bloomers, I think, that make them smack of Marie Antoinette. The bloomers are great. I got them on Etsy, bien sur. I especially enjoy clothing that's comfortable enough to nap in, and crisp enough to wear to the playground afterward.

Tina Tarnoff said...

This was so beautifuly writtn I could almost feel the air and the light touch of the sheets. Wonderful. And adore your bloomers! xox

Jeanne-ming Brantingham said...

You have this incredible gift to make the simpliest things extraordinary. I am always insprired by you...