Thursday

Every afternoon...well, every sunny afternoon...we pass this icecream shop in our stroller. There is also a well-used basketball court on the opposite corner, so this is arguably Q's favorite corner in all of Denver.
Now, every time we get within five blocks or so of this corner, Q starts furiously signing "icecream" and "basketball" alternately.
At first, I though...well, how am I going to handle this? There is no other viable route by which to get to the confluence (our summer route). And there's really no missing that two-story-high cream jug when you pass it on the street. I'm just going to have to say "no", right? I mean, we can't stop for icecream every day....
....can we?
And that's when the epiphany clicked in my brain.
Because, when you think about it, there's really no actual rule written anywhere that says we can't stop for icecream every day.
It doesn't say that anywhere. I looked.
Of course, she's not really all that fond of sweets. It's more like she just likes the idea of icecream. She likes the event. The pomp and circumstance. She eats two bites, maybe three on a good day. And then she's over it. And there's a nearly-full cup of icecream left for me to finish. And that's when I realized it: a 20-month-old is the perfect excuse to eat a different flavor of icecream every single day of the summer.
Just look at that face. Could you say "no"?
I didn't think so.

11 comments:

Cassaundra said...

ice cream everyday sounds fantastic!

Evelyne said...

nous aussi nous avons mangé des glaces de chez Grom!!!J'aime cette tradition des glaces en Italie..; en fonction de l'heure de la journée les clients sont différents : banquiers de l'après-midi, enfants des sorties d'écoles, les Anciens, les ados, les clients des spectacles ceux des bars...toujours une occasion de manger un gelato!!!

Sabine, La Marquise des anges said...

well I couldn't say no either ...

everyday ice cream sounds PERFECT to me ... especially if I can have ice cream all over my face too ;)

Jeanne-ming Brantingham said...

...Such a smart mommy....

FDChief said...

No. I couldn't.

She's a beauty, Mom. Just as delicious as triple chocolate nut crunch.

Alyson and Ford said...

I don't think I could say no either! Especially to such a scrumptious adorable little girl!!
Enjoy!!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for Eight Months

walternatives said...

I couldn't and you shouldn't say no. What a grand summer it shall be. Perhaps you could keep a log of the flavors you experienced, 2009.

TheBeautyFile said...

these are totally precious...nothing better than ice cream on a sweet face!

Tina Tarnoff said...

Can you be my mom!:) Did I say already how visiting your blog makes me happy to be alive? You are lovely, vibrant, loving, funny, so feminine & mother-earth like. xox

julia said...

There should be a law that states that sweet children should be given ice-cream every day in summer

Palmer and Co said...

Oh, we went there on Saturday! Such a cute place! Maybe we'll run into you one day!