Friday

A bedtime moment with Q:

(Scene, a darkened bedroom, a small girl tucked under a huge duvet, her night-dark eyes already at half-mast.  A mommy sitting on top of the duvet, holding her daughters slender, sleep-warm hand)
 

Q: (tugging my hand inexorably toward her) Why you have to leave, mommy? 

Me: Because I have to work, and it's time for you to sleep. But you're my girl, forever and ever, and I love you more than anything in the whole, wide world. More than the moon and all the stars.

Q: (gripping my hand a little tighter) And no one takes me away. 

Me: And no one ever takes you away, not ever, never, ever. 

Q: (smiles sleepily, and then raises one drowsy hand and carefully traces the outlines of my face in the air) That's you, mommy. I just drew your face. That's you.

I waited until I was outside her room to melt into a puddle of warm butter on the floor.

6 comments:

Kenza said...

Oh!

Two Kayaks said...

Oh, wow. Those precious, precious moments will live inside of you forever. If only she could see inside your heart to see how strong your love is for her.

kitchu said...

melting right along side you Maia!! what a gem she is!

Unknown said...

Aw.... very very sweet. Happy New Year to you, your family and Q!

FDChief said...

Awww... That's awful sweet.

Like I said before; tuck that moment away next to your heart to take out and treasure eleven years from now after some shrieking fight over [homework/cell phone time/boyfriends/parties/fill-in-the-blank]. I'm convinced that it's these memories of them at this adorable and loving stage that will keep us from choking the life out of them between 14 and 22...

onesilentwinter said...

loveliest of all things motherhood.