Tuesday

 During our latest trip to NYC, we were finally able to have a long-delayed dinner with Jane of the amazing children's clothing line Anaïs & I and her family.
I do some illustration for Anaïs & I, and Jane is a treasured friend.
 Q spent the beginning of the evening racing up and down the halls on scooters, in hot pursuit of Jane's youngest son.
They have a similar speed ethic, and were fast friends from the start. 
This is Anaïs, Jane's daughter and muse for the line (in an Anaïs & I dress). It was her birthday.
Q and Anaïs allaying their boredom during the dinner party ;)
 Anaïs had already had a birthday celebration, but there was some cake left over, and she was eager to re-enact the ceremonies with the new guests. Lucky us, since the cake was elegantly constructed from dozens of layers of crepes with a delicate filling between.
 At this stage of her existence, Q harbors a deep-seated and burning jealousy of watching others blow out their birthday candles.
 It eats her up inside, and on occasion I have actually seen her burst into tears at a restaurant when someone at a neighboring table has a birthday celebration at dessert.
So I was incredibly proud at the supreme self-control that she exercised in order to compose this exquisitely polite facade as Anaïs blew out her second birthday candle of the day. As a mother, I can see past the facade, and I know that she is burning up inside at this moment. So I give her a great deal of credit for the angelic facade she was able to compose for this occasion. 
After the cake ceremony, all was made well when Anaïs presented Q with a surprise gift box containing a spectacular Anaïs & I party dress (in silver to complement Anaïs' gold version). Both girls changed into their dresses, and all of Q's jealousy was forgotten ;)
 One member of the group, however, was still feeling left out...Lucas (wearing an A&I tee with my balloon elephant design) was dying to join the party, and apparently feeling very left-out...
Being comforted by mommy. Sometimes, it's hard being the youngest.

2 comments:

Yoli said...

How incredibly sweet! So glad you got to visit Jane, she seems like such an enchanting person. Beautiful children all. The dresses are lovely!

Amélie said...

Aren't they sweet. Love Q's face while Anais is blowing her candle. She's fantastic!